Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Where There's Smoke


The vignettes are coming, don't worry, but my first week back in Grenada must be discussed first because it has been by far one of the worst weeks I've had in a long time. Despite a 6 AM wake up (An hour earlier than I would if I was on campus) the new place off campus was amazing. A 5 bedroom villa with a pool and all. It had everything we could need and was only slightly more than living on campus.

The amazing place only lasted so long. On my third day there I woke up at noon to the sound of pounding on the door and people yelling. As I reached the door after getting an electric shock from my computer I noticed something was off, an odd smell. When I opened the door to my bedroom the room quickly filled with black smoke, the living room was in fact on fire. I hit the floor and crawled out the back door in my bedroom to the backyard. Apparently the islands power grid was having issues, in that 24 hours several fires broke out including on campus due to powerful surges. The cable box in my living room blew and set the TV on fire, creating a high intensity electrical fire.

With the help of some great friends here, namely Youssef, John, and Mike, and my landlord who set me up in another property of his I had a place to live within an hour. This place though has shotty internet, two broken AC's, and just simply isn't my place. Me and my roommates can't actually settle in anywhere and feel like we're home until we're back in the other place when the repairs are over in a few weeks.

This on top of a few other minor problems just keep compounding things and stressing me out quite a bit, none the less, the show must go on. I'm still going to class, putting in the hours on campus, studying, and gearing up to dive into this term.

1 comment:

  1. You punkass, still dont know how to spell my name...

    Yousouf!

    ReplyDelete