Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Resurrection

Yes, I'm still alive. I was a bad blogger yet again. I left the blog defunct over break but with good reason. It's such a short break and I was enjoying myself as much as possible before being shipped back to the "Rock".

The end to second term was largely uneventful. I did pretty well on finals and was generally pleased with the outcome of the whole term. I even got on campus housing again which is a huge relief for me. Moving out of the large house we were in last term was slightly eventful. Long story short my hand wound up going through the rental car window right before I got on a flight off the island. Not too big of a deal though at the time I was not pleased. Second term was interesting for the fact that at the end of it, you really start to feel like you're learning what you came here for. As you get a good hold on the physiology and neuroscience it feels like you actually have a clear picture of whats going on inside the body. Now that MS1 is over we know in general terms whats going on inside the body during normal conditions. Now MS2 is spent primarily learning what happens when the things go wrong.

I have now entered term 3/4. Term 3 is 6 weeks and consists of behavioral science, biostats, ethics, and medical law. The hard part begins in Term 4 after that. Pathology, communication and physical diagnosis, clinical microbiology are the classes that fill term 4. Now there are alot of things I could say about this. Those who have gone through it before me have mountains of evidence both hard and circumstantial that point to what some may consider a "Stacked Deck". Like everything else I've found here though, you can't rely on the rumors you can only comment on your own experience as you go through it so while I won't be able to update the blog everyday I plan on keeping a daily journal, of at least a page a night, as soon as 4th term begins.

This will also be the longest amount of time spent on the island in one shot. Six months straight, January to June. Last term toward the end due to the isolation of my houses location I noticed myself becoming slightly depressed at times and increasingly paranoid. Being on campus was definitely necessary for a term this long and supposedly stressful. Last term I kept no records of what I was feeling when but 4th term I'd like to keep some kind of consistent record so that when I return home again I can review it and see what exactly the effects of this kind of stress and distance have on me personally as well as what coping mechanisms or lack there of I employ. Maybe it would be the kind of thing to help the next person to come through, maybe it'll be me re-reading alot of whining and complaining, either way it's a non-time consuming and constructive hobby to have on the side to clear my head when things are so busy I can barely stop to catch a breath.

Will I actually be able to keep something like that up? Knowing myself and from the looks of this blog I doubt it. I'll try though.

So this is the beginning again, year two is starting of slow but I'm sure it won't be long before the speed is almost too much to handle.

1 comment:

  1. Just how practical is a micro luggage type of scooter? Is it only good for the overnight/wkend commuter who doesn't need to carry much?

    ReplyDelete